Sometimes we realize that we need a new role, but would like it to have the same capabilities as an existing role. Other times we have a new user that should have all the same roles of an existing user. We currently need to copy each individual capability or role. Can there be an easier way to do both of these things?
Yes, in V2019+! There are now options to copy all capabilities from one role to another and to copy role membership from one Contact to another.
To copy role capabilities from one role to another:
- Go to the Roles tool on the System Admin Dashboard.
- Create the second role if it doesn’t already exist. The role needs to exist before you can copy to it.
- Expand the role that you will be copying from.
- Click the icon to copy all Capabilities, Responsibility* and Included Roles. *Responsibility will not be copied if there is a Responsibility already on the target role.
- Expand the role that you want to copy to.
- Click the icon to paste all Capabilities, Responsibility* and Included Roles.
- Save your changes.
Note: copied Capabilities and Included Roles are appended to existing Capabilities and Included Roles, but you will not end up with duplicates.
To copy role membership from one Contact to another:
- Go to the Contact list on the Contacts Dashboard.
- Open the options menu for the Contact you want to copy from.
- Select Copy role membership.
- Open the options menu for the Contact you want to copy to.
- Select Paste roles from...