When I tried to use the Add Files tool in Spitfire, I was prompted to install files on the workstation. Why?
There are several instances within the Spitfire system where you will be prompted to install files for a specific tool the very first time you attempt to use it. There are short, one-time only installations that occur with the first use of:
- Add Files
- BFA (Budgeting, Forecasting, and Project Analysis) workbook
- SOV Billing workbook
- Period Distribution workbook
Add Files Tool
Used from the Catalog or Project Dashboard to upload or scan files from a computer (workstation) file system to Spitfire.
The first time you use the Add Files tool on a workstation, you will be prompted to install the LeadTools codec files. A default file location will be displayed, but you may change the location if desired. Selecting OK will install the necessary files folder location specified.
If the Folder where the files are being installed does not currently exist, you will be prompted to create the folder.
The folder and files will be created on the workstation and the Add Files tool is then ready for use.
If the default file location is blank it could be due to insufficient permissions to the default folder. On Windows Vista or Windows 7 it can also be caused by UAC. See KBA-01419 on properly setting up your workstations with UAC.
To Turn Off UAC:
- On Windows Vista: Control Panel | User Accounts – Turn User Account Control on or off.
- Uncheck ‘Use UAC‘ and select OK. You will be prompted to reboot for this change to take effect. UAC can be reactivated if desired after the installation.
- On Windows 7: Control Panel | User Accounts – Change User Account Control settings.
- Move the selector down to ‘Never Notify‘ and select OK. You will be prompted to reboot for this change to take effect. UAC can be reactivated if desired after the installation.
For more information see:
KBA-01419 – Automatic Dashboard Tool Updates require write access to system resources
KBA-01425 – Why is there a prompt to install files when I try to open the BFA workbook?
KBA-01426 – Why is there a prompt to install files when I try to open the SOV workbook?
KBA-01427 – Why is there a prompt to install files when I try to open a Period Distribution workbook?
KBA-01424; Last updated: November 9, 2016 at 13:46 pm;
Keywords: customization installer, install Add Files files