You can configure your Doc types to show or hide specific fields depending on the document’s subtype. For example, if your Vendor Commitment documents are set up with three subtypes—SUB, PO, and REQ—then you can have different fields appear or not appear for Subcontracts, Purchase Orders and Requisitions. Setup is done through the UI Configuration tool on the System Admin dashboard.
To show or hide fields based on document subtype:
- In the UI Configuration tool, select the Doc Type, Part and Item for the field you want to make visible or invisible.
- Add or edit the row, entering the code for the subtype as the Context. (You can find the Subtype codes in the Code Maintenance tool.)
- Check the Visible flag if you want the field to appear for this subtype; uncheck the Visible flag is you want the field to be hidden for this subtype.
- Remember to save your changes.
In this example:
- All Vendor Commitment documents have the Post To Targets and Reference fields hidden.
- REQ Vendor Commitments have the Owner Direct and Retention fields hidden.
- PO Vendor Commitments have the Owner Direct field visible (since visible is the default), but the Retention field hidden.
- SUB Vendor Commitments have the Owner Direct and Retention fields visible, since they have not been explicitly hidden.
(Click on the image above to see it bigger.)