Can I have a custom Doc type include a TO tab like the Bid Package, where other related documents are created and listed?
Yes! Here is an overview of the setup required:
Let‘s describe this in terms of PARENT Doc type and CHILD documents. In the Bid Package and RFQs example, the Bid Package is the parent and the RFQs are subordinate child documents.
- In the Doc Types tool (on the System Admin Dashboard)
- Edit the row for the child document (for example, RFQ).
- Select the parent document from the Parent Type drop-down.
- In the Rules Maintenance tool (on the System Admin Dashboard)
- (optional) Set DocTypeConfig | DocNoMaskName to use segment-based numbering. (See KBA-01277). This is highly recommended if you are using the same Doc type for both parent and child Commitment documents: use a segment for parent number and the final segment for child number. All children of the same parent will have the same value in the first segment.
- (optional) Set DocTypeConfig | DescendantTitle to override the default title prefix of ‘Added From‘. See KBA-01154.
- (optional) Set DocTypeConfig | LinkToChildType to specify which candidate child document type to use.
- Set DocNumbering | Segment to the target segment number. This is required if DocNoMaskName was used. The is the final segment number from the parent; the next segment will be used for the child increment. If you have a parent-child mask, use a value of 1 for this rule.
- In the UI Configuration tool (on the System Admin Dashboard)
- Make the Doc Tabs | Links Tab visible for your Doc type.
- Configure as needed.
Documents shown on the Links Tab are (and must) also be attached to the parent document.
This is an advanced feature. As with many advanced features, it is possible to create configurations that do not work with or conflict with pre-existing use cases. Consult your implementation specialist.
KBA-01511; Last updated: August 26, 2020 at 17:15 pm
Keywords: child documents; nested; linked documents; subordinate docs